DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT – MCC THEATER, New York, NY
MCC THEATER seeks an innovative, data-driven, and highly collaborative Director of Development to lead their fundraising team. Reporting to the Executive Director and serving as a critical member of the senior leadership team, this individual will drive institutional fundraising strategy and be responsible for cultivation and stewardship of the organization’s principal individual and institutional funders, as well as comprehensive oversight of MCC’s Institutional Giving, Individual Giving, and Special Events departments.
ABOUT MCC THEATER
Over more than 35 years, MCC Theater has established itself as a leading and award-winning off-Broadway theater company. MCC’s mission to provoke conversations that have never happened and otherwise never would is achieved across four program areas: annual productions of new plays and musicals; development of new work by artists with bold voices; deep and enriching public engagement initiatives; and intensive in-school and after-school programs that foster in high school students that desire to be heard and speak out.
With the opening of its home in January 2019, the $20 million state-of-the-art Robert W. Wilson MCC Theater Space, MCC brought its productions, public engagement and education programming, and administrative operations under one roof for the first time in its history and launched a new phase of audience and donor development and opportunity. Recent productions include Space Dogs, The Wrong Man, BLKS, School Girls; or The African Mean Girls Play, The Legend of Georgia McBride, Hand to God, Punk Rock, among many others.
With an annual operating budget of $7-8 million, MCC produces 4-5 productions each season as well as PlayLabs and SongLabs developmental readings and workshops, and the annual MCC Youth Company production of UnCensored and its FreshPlay Festival.
COMPENSATION: This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience ranging from $100,000-$120,000/yr plus health, dental and vision benefits, opt-in 403(b), paid time off, and other benefits. This is an in-person position.
- Lead the development and implementation of annual fundraising plans achieving MCC’s contributed revenue goals
- Lead strategic development and supervise the Individual Giving Manager in the execution of MCC’s Patron Program, comprised of donors with annual giving between $1,500 and $10,000
- Develop and execute data-driven, research-based strategies for acquisition, retention, and upgrade of key prospects to the Producer’s Circle Level ($10,000+)
- Manage and steward a portfolio of major individual and institutional funders and prospects
- Ensure the execution of multi-channel donor and patron communications
- Direct annual Telefund Campaign renewal and acquisition strategies, in partnership with Telefund Manager
- Lead the conception, planning, and fundraising strategy for MCC’s annual Miscast Gala, including securing lead sponsors and ensure achievement of fundraising goals
- Supervise the Manager of Special Events and Development team in the execution of all donor events, including Patron evenings and Opening Nights for each production
- Direct, manage and support Board Solicitation process for all fundraising events, ensuring a holistic strategy around donor prospects
- Facilitate guest research and strategize donor engagement with staff and leadership
Board & MCC Council
- Direct, manage and support for Board of Directors’ fundraising activities, including soliciting prospects for their support through the Patron Program, Campaign, Miscast, and any additional fundraising events throughout the year
- Oversee and staff Nominating/Board Development Committee and support other Board Committees as needed
- Attend quarterly board meetings and provide regular reports on fundraising initiatives, progress, and KPIs
- Supervise the Grant Writer
- Work with the Grant Writer to review and approve proposals, reports, and correspondence to institutional funders and stakeholders
- Develop and manage departmental budget to ensure desired results are achieved
- Supervise and manage the Individual Giving Manager and the Manager of Special Events, providing guidance and mentorship
- Create an inclusive environment and uphold MCC’s commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Five years of experience leading Development function
- Experience in a supervisory role
- Demonstrated success cultivating relationships with donors and prospects as well as soliciting gifts
- Demonstrated skills and experience in designing and implementing successful strategies for seeking, obtaining, and stewarding major gifts
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to convey a clear, concise, persuasive message
- Strong organization skills and attentiveness to detail
- Collegiality and team orientation are a must with opportunities to contribute beyond job parameters
- Ability to multi-task and manage more than one project at a time
- Eagerness to be an active participant in and meaningful contributor to MCC’s ongoing work on creating and nurturing a culture of belonging rooted in equity, diversity, and inclusion and apply EDI principles to scope of work.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for theater, performing arts, and arts education
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite and Basecamp. Knowledge of Spectrix or proficiency in CRM/fundraising databases strongly preferred
MCC seeks team members with an eagerness to be an active participant in and meaningful contributor to our ongoing work on creating and nurturing a culture of belonging rooted in equity, diversity and inclusion and apply EDI principles to their scope of work.
MCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
The facilities at MCC Theater are fully accessible and ADA compliant with self-opening entrance doors, elevators, ramps, and ADA-compliant restrooms on both floors.
Proof of vaccination and boosting against COVID-19 required.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Development in the subject line by May 10. Please use your cover letter to tell us how you became aware of the position, any direct experience you have had with MCC Theater and its productions or events, and what believe would position you for success in this role. No mail or phone calls please.
THE ROBERT W. WILSON MCC THEATER SPACE
Our new home in Hell’s Kitchen allows us to deepen our mission and encourage greater collaboration among all of our ARTISTS, STUDENTS, and AUDIENCES.