Senior Manager of Special Events
(New York, NY)
MCC Theater is the award-winning off-Broadway company that has recently produced School Girls; or The African Mean Girls Play, The Legend of Georgia McBride, Hand to God, Punk Rock, among many others over its 30+ years. MCC Theater recently opened and began producing in The Robert W. Wilson MCC Theater Space on 52nd Street in January of 2019, featuring two state-of-the-art theaters, the Newman Mills Theater (245 seats) and the Susan & Ronald Frankel Theater (100+ seats, flexible configuration).
The Senior Manager of Special Events drives, manages, and executes all event operations for MCC Theater. This includes responsibility for the planning, execution, and management of MCC Theater’s annual premiere fundraising event, Miscast, including managing a portfolio of gala donors, as well as for planning, executing and managing all donor stewardship and cultivation events in support of MCC’s annual fund, capital campaign, public engagement, and other events in support of the theater’s annual season. This position works closely with the Executive Director and the Director of Development to devise strategies for successful event-based fundraising and donor cultivation, with Board committees and Artistic Directors to ensure that event goals are met. Ideal candidate will have strong organizational skills and the ability to successfully multi-task, be customer-service/sales oriented, and possess strong writing and interpersonal skills. Track record of planning and executing events and fundraising success required; Capital Campaign experience a plus.
Annual Miscast Gala
- Devise and execute strategic gala campaign plan with benchmarks to reach aggressive annual gala fundraising goal
- Work closely with event chairs, committee, artistic directors and other gala stakeholders to drive fundraising campaign
- Set strategy for prospecting and mailing list(s), invitations, etc.
- Responsible for regular and accurate reporting on campaign to board, committee, etc., includes setting and leading productive committee meetings
- Supervise maintenance and upkeep of event expense budget tracking
- Set strategy around and supervise management and distribution of event production timeline, including communications plans, promotional materials, solicitation timeline, and donor and sponsor recognition
- Facilitate workflow between Development and Marketing departments on development and execution of communication plan and electronic promotional materials, including video, etc., and all appropriate gala sales tools and collateral (save the date materials, invitation, email blasts)
- Coordinate and manage all services and contracts with vendors, including production consultant/event producer
- Oversee/manage guest list/event seating plans
- Oversee recruitment and management of event volunteers and event staffing
- Serve as primary contact on event-specific sponsorships, working with DoD and other appropriate staff and/or committee members to cultivate and close sponsorship deals
- Maintain relationships with gala donors throughout the year and work with development department to identify and cultivate other support from gala donors as appropriate
All Events at MCC
- On-site management of events including and not limited to:
- Fall Event
- Opening Nights
- Patron Program/Campaign/Annual Fund Cultivation Events
- Production-Related Events
- Artistic and Community Engagement Events
- Education Related Events
- As appropriate to event(s), plan and execute venue, menu, set-up, timeline
- Secure and coordinate volunteers (as needed)
- Manage effective maintenance and distribution of RSVP lists to all appropriate parties
- Provide appropriate reports on events, outcomes and goals
- Plan and execute small cultivation dinners, cocktail receptions, panel discussion events, etc.
- Working with Individual Giving team, plan, execute and manage logistical details of events associated each production throughout season (post-show receptions, annual patron dinner, other events as needed)
- Liaise with Audience Services for Patron events in conjunction with Individual Giving
- Conceive cultivation events and opportunities (i.e., meet the artist events, Q&A panels, donor-hosted parties)
- Support the creation of appropriate event-related collateral materials
- Supervise and advise on all artistic and public engagement event planning, including but not limited to:
- Space Rentals/Reservation
- Event Goals and Metrics
- Budget Management
- Coordinate with Audience Services, Marketing, and other necessary departments for timelines and collateral design and production and website updates
- Cultivate all event-related vendors to ensure cost efficiency and good service
Special projects as assigned. Support Executive Director as needed.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and generous paid time off.
Salary range: $60,000-$70,000, based on experience.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume as a single PDF file to [email protected] with SPECIAL EVENTS SEARCH in the subject line. Cover letter should include relevant experience, how you became aware of the position, and any direct experience you have had with MCC Theater and its productions and events. No phone calls please.
MCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
THE ROBERT W. WILSON MCC THEATER SPACE
Our new home in Hell’s Kitchen allows us to deepen our mission and encourage greater collaboration among all of our ARTISTS, STUDENTS, and AUDIENCES.