Director of Marketing & Communications
Following a phase of rapid growth in recent years, MCC Theater seeks a dynamic and experienced Director of Marketing & Communications to lead organizational initiatives that will ensure audience engagement while maximizing earned revenue. The ideal candidate will bring the ambition and proven track-record to strategically promote a season of exciting new work, while always strengthening the connection between a diverse audience and the MCC Theater mission. This role requires a savvy and collaborative relationship-builder to ensure that MCC is effectively communicating its offerings and values to the NYC theatergoing public while ensuring cohesion among internal staff in service to these campaigns.
With the opening of its new home at The Robert W. Wilson MCC Theater Space, recent launch of a new company brand and graphic identity, and major enhancements to technology platforms through a website redesign and conversion to Spektrix, the Director of Marketing & Communications will be focused on mobilizing these formidable assets to drive ambitious sales and attendance goals at all five season productions. The role reports directly to the Executive Director, and works closely with MCC’s three Artistic Directors and senior staff, including General Management, Artistic, Development, Audience Services, Public Engagement & Education, and Production. The role has two direct reports, a Marketing Manager and Marketing Assistant, and coordinates the external efforts of graphic design, PR, telemarketing, and digital marketing vendors.
MCC Theater is the award-winning off-Broadway company that has recently produced School Girls; or The African Mean Girls Play, The Legend of Georgia McBride, Hand to God, Punk Rock, among many others over its 30+ years. MCC Theater recently opened and began producing in The Robert W. Wilson MCC Theater Space on 52nd Street in January of 2019, featuring two state-of-the-art theaters, The Newman Mills Theater (245 seats) and The Susan & Ronald Frankel Theater (100+ seats, flexible configuration). MCC has an annual operating budget of $7-8million, with more than 40% of its annual income coming from single ticket and subscription sales, and welcomes an annual audience of 75,000 through a mixture of performance and public engagement programs.
The Director of Marketing & Communications will direct all institutional, subscription, and single ticket marketing campaigns for MCC. In addition to leading strategy development and execution in the marketing department, this position will ensure a consistent organizational brand across and in collaboration with all departments.
- Lead, supervise, and continually participate in the professional development of the Marketing Manager and Marketing Assistant
- Develop and implement all short- and long-term institutional marketing plans
- Project revenue and expenses, including management of the annual marketing budget
- Establish annual subscription and single ticket sales goals, and regularly monitor seating inventory in collaboration with Audience Services to ensure that pricing and availability are in alignment with sales goals
- Ensure that regular sales reporting for all campaigns is being distributed cross-departmentally, and is informing marketing and sales strategies
- Craft, execute, and build internal support for production single ticket campaigns, including activity across all paid, owned, and earned media channels
- Maintain a centralized marketing plan for use within the marketing team, and for communication to Executives and fellow Senior Staff
- Regularly adjust the marketing mix for MCC campaigns to ensure that reach and overall brand awareness are at a maximum, for both the productions and the company as a whole
- Develop and implement audience development strategies, to continually ensure that MCC’s diverse season of programming is reaching an audience representative and inclusive of NYC
- Manage out-of-house partners and vendors, including:
- Graphic designer for creation of key and display advertising deliverables
- Public relations firm in support of earned media goals
- Digital marketing firm for digital advertising, including display, paid social, and search
- Videographer/editor for creation of production and campaign video content
- Telemarketing vendor focused on subscription acquisition and renewal
- Ensure that owned digital channels are consistently updated with quality content that reflects the latest organizational activities, events, and initiatives
- Collaborate with internal departments to maximize opportunities for content creation, and provide opportunities for campaign input where appropriate—particularly with Artistic, Public Engagement, Development, and Audience Services departments
- Establish partnerships with community organizations, businesses, and other stakeholders for ongoing cross-promotional collaboration
- Participate in long-range institutional planning as a pivotal member of the Senior Staff
The ideal candidate will be a confident, strategic, and creative thinker with 4-5 years of arts marketing experience (theater strongly preferred), including direct ticket sales and campaign management experience. This should include at least 2 years of experience managing direct-reports, and/or external vendors and consultants. This individual will bring an understanding of not-for-profit structure, an ability to build internal stakeholder relationships to support and advocate for marketing initiatives, and a comfort engaging and collaborating with artists in support of their work. Excellent writing/communication skills are required, and design experience is a plus.
Salary range: $70,000-85,000 commensurate with experience
This search is being conducted on behalf of MCC Theater by arts marketing consultant and recruiter Tom O’Connor. To apply, please email your cover letter, salary requirements, and resume as a single PDF file to [email protected] (note: .co) with “MCC Theater” in the subject line. Cover letter should include relevant experience, how you became aware of the position, and any direct experience you have had with MCC Theater and its productions. No phone calls please.
MCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and generous paid time off.
THE ROBERT W. WILSON MCC THEATER SPACE
Our new home in Hell’s Kitchen allows us to deepen our mission and encourage greater collaboration among all of our ARTISTS, STUDENTS, and AUDIENCES.