DIRECTOR OF MARKETING & AUDIENCE SERVICES — MCC THEATER, New York, NY
Following a phase of rapid growth in recent years, MCC Theater seeks a dynamic and experienced Director of Marketing & Audience Services to lead organizational initiatives that will ensure audience engagement while maximizing earned revenue. The ideal candidate will bring the ambition and proven track-record to strategically promote a season of exciting new work, while always strengthening the connection between a diverse audience and the MCC Theater mission. This role requires a savvy and collaborative relationship-builder to ensure that MCC is effectively communicating its offerings and values to the NYC theatergoing public while ensuring cohesion among internal staff in service to these campaigns.
With the 2019 opening of its home at The Robert W. Wilson MCC Theater Space shortly before COVID-19, the organization launched a new company brand and graphic identity, and major enhancements to technology platforms through a website redesign and conversion to Spektrix. As we continue to re-emerge after the height of the pandemic, the Director of Marketing & Audience Services will be focused on mobilizing our formidable assets to drive ambitious sales and attendance goals of all season productions (4-5 annually) and other events and programming. The role reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with MCC’s three Artistic Directors and senior staff, including General Management, Artistic, Development, Public Engagement & Education, and Production. The role has three direct reports, a Marketing Campaigns Manager, Manager of Audience Services and Marketing Assistant, and coordinates the external efforts of graphic design, PR, telemarketing, and digital marketing vendors. The team is in the process of reassembling following COVID-related disruptions, and so the ideal candidate should be a strategic thinker at an organizational level, beyond audience-facing campaigns.
ABOUT MCC THEATER
MCC Theater is the award-winning off-Broadway company that has recently produced Space Dogs, The Wrong Man, BLKS, School Girls; or The African Mean Girls Play, The Legend of Georgia McBride, Hand to God, Punk Rock, among many others over its 35+ years. MCC Theater recently opened and began producing in The Robert W. Wilson MCC Theater Space on 52nd Street in January of 2019, featuring two state-of-the-art theaters, The Newman Mills Theater (245 seats) and The Susan & Ronald Frankel Theater (100+ seats, flexible configuration). MCC has an annual operating budget of $7-8million, with approximately 40% of its annual income coming from single ticket and subscription sales and welcomes an annual audience of 75,000 through a mixture of performance and public engagement programs.
COMPENSATION: This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience ranging $85,000-$100,000/yr plus health, dental and vision benefits, opt-in 403(b), paid time off, and other benefits. This is an in-person position.
The Director of Marketing & Audience Services will direct all institutional, subscription, and single ticket marketing campaigns for MCC, as well as ensure optimal audience experience before, during, and following performances. In addition to leading strategy development and execution in the marketing department, this position will ensure a consistent organizational brand across and in collaboration with all departments.
Organizational Leadership & Strategy
- Project revenue and expenses, including management of the annual marketing budget
- Collaborate with internal departments to maximize opportunities for content creation, and provide opportunities for campaign input where appropriate—particularly with Artistic, Public Engagement, Development, and Audience Services departments
- Participate in long-range institutional planning as a pivotal member of the Senior Staff
- Lead, supervise, and continually participate in the professional development of the marketing & audience services team, which encompasses Marketing Campaigns Manager, Marketing & Audience Services Assistant, and Manager of Audience Services, who has management responsibility for MCC’s front of house team
- Manage out-of-house partner and vendor relationships, including:
- Graphic designer for creation of key and display advertising deliverables
- Public relations firm in support of earned media goals
- Digital marketing firm for digital advertising, including display, paid social, and search
- Videographer/editor for creation of production and campaign video content
- Campaigns support
- Telemarketing vendor focused on subscription acquisition and renewal
Marketing & Audience Strategy
- Develop and implement all short- and long-term institutional marketing plans
- Maintain a centralized marketing plan for use within the marketing team, and for communication to Executives and fellow Senior Staff
- Represent audience perspective among Senior Staff and serve as the senior policy leader with regard to customer service and experience
- Establish annual subscription and single ticket sales goals and regularly monitor seating inventory in collaboration with Manager of Audience Services to ensure that pricing and availability are in alignment with sales goals;
- Ensure that regular sales reporting for all campaigns is being distributed cross-departmentally, and is informing marketing and sales strategies
- Craft, execute, and build internal support for production single ticket campaigns, including activity across all paid, owned, and earned media channels
- Regularly adjust the marketing mix for MCC campaigns to ensure that reach and overall brand awareness are at a maximum, for both the productions and the company as a whole
- Regularly conduct and analyze audience and marketing research to assess audience engagement, understand demographic profiles and develop and implement appropriate audience development strategies, to continually ensure that MCC’s diverse season of programming is reaching an audience representative and inclusive of NYC
- Ensure that owned digital channels are consistently updated with quality content that reflects the latest organizational activities, events, and initiatives
- Establish partnerships with community organizations, businesses, and other stakeholders for ongoing cross-promotional collaboration
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will be a confident, strategic, collaborative, creative leader and problem-solver with at least 7 years of arts marketing experience (theater strongly preferred), including direct ticket sales and campaign management experience. This should include at least 3 years of experience managing direct-reports, and/or external vendors and consultants. This individual will bring an understanding of not-for-profit structure, an ability to build internal stakeholder relationships to support and advocate for marketing initiatives, and a comfort engaging and collaborating with artists in support of their work. Excellent writing/communication skills are required, and design experience is a plus.
MCC seeks team members with an eagerness to be an active participant in and meaningful contributor to our ongoing work on creating and nurturing a culture of belonging rooted in equity, diversity and inclusion and apply EDI principles to their scope of work.
MCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
The facilities at MCC Theater are fully accessible and ADA compliant with self-opening entrance doors, elevators, ramps, and ADA-compliant restrooms on both floors.
Proof of vaccination and boosting against COVID-19 required.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Marketing & Audience Services in the subject line. Please use your cover letter to tell us how you became aware of the position, any direct experience you have had with MCC Theater and its productions, and what you think you would uniquely bring to MCC’s team and operations in this role. No mail or phone calls please.
Want access to our full 2022/23 season?
Click to YES to learn more about all the exclusive benefits for
SUBSCRIBERS & PATRONS
THE ROBERT W. WILSON MCC THEATER SPACE
Our new home in Hell’s Kitchen allows us to deepen our mission and encourage greater collaboration among all of our ARTISTS, STUDENTS, and AUDIENCES.